5 Facts About Travertine Tiles
Travertine is one material that is both durable and attractive, two factors that make it popular for many home uses. This stone is perfect anywhere you might use tile or any other hard flooring. If you are considering adding travertine to your home take a look at these fun facts !
1) Travertine is a natural sandstone that is mined rather than created. It is typically sourced from Peru, Turkey or Italy, with Italy being the most popular for use in the United States.
2) Due to it being a soft stone, travertine is porous and does require sealing. This porousness is what gives the stone its interesting appearance, and the tiny holes are considered a desirable trait.
3) Travertine has been a popular building material for centuries and was a favorite that was often used in Ancient Roman times. In fact, the Coliseum is constructed of travertine!
4) The appearance and color of the stone vary based on its location and conditions. There are stones that have pink and red tones, but the majority are of neutral colors such as tan, brown, gold, and cream. Some rare samples also contain veining, but this is not the norm.
5) There are many treatments that will alter the appearance of the stone with honed travertine being the most popular. This treatment creates a matte finish that is popular with many homeowners. The rawest finish is tumbled travertine that maintains a rough texture and the appearance of crevices. Other popular finishes include brushed and polished.
Travertine is the perfect option for kitchens, bathrooms, entryways, and more! In addition to flooring, travertine can be utilized for backsplashes, kitchen and bathroom counters, and shower stalls. This material is easy to clean, and excepting the need to be sealed, at regular intervals, is easy to care for and low maintenance. If you are looking to enhance the appearance of your home, consider travertine for all of your floor and tiling needs! For more information on travertine, contact the team at Bay Shore Cleaning and Restoration today, from travertine restoration to tile and grout cleaning services, we can help !