Textiles in a Hot, Humid Environment We love to soften bathroom spaces with warmth and well-chosen textiles such as draperies, sheers, cushions, and upholstered chairs. Unfortunately, heat and humidity are environmental factors that can impact the conditions of your textiles. A combination of preventative measures and smart cleaning practices are a good way to ensure you have a warm, inviting bathroom free of harmful bacteria.
Preventative measures include:
1) Installing high-efficiency air filters
2) Keeping the temperature around 70° F
3) Keeping the bathroom well-ventilated
4) Using dehumidifiers
5) Repairing leaks
6) Applying fabric protectors to textiles
Smart cleaning practices include:
1) Use only recommended cleaning products
2) Use nontoxic antimicrobial sprays
3) Give dry curtains a gentle shake daily For upholstery, regularly turn cushions
4) Vacuum textiles regularly
5) Use only recommended vacuum attachments
6) Remove textiles from bathroom to clean
7) Professional cleaning at regular intervals
When in Doubt, Consult with a Pro
Over-the-counter sprays, cleaners and detergents, and improper cleaning methods can damage fabric. It is best to consult with a professional carpet and upholstery cleaner regarding the proper treatment for your specific textiles. This is especially true in the case of upholstery, since upholstery often combines both synthetic and natural fibers, and what is good for one may not work well for the other. Having your textiles professionally cleaned at regular intervals will help maximize their life and keep them looking their best.
Bay Shore Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning offers cleaning services for all types of homes and commercial properties. Contact us today to discuss your carpet and upholstery needs. To read the full article, see the Spring 2014 issue of Stone Advisory Magazine.
Schedule an In-Home Estimate: (813) 609-8661